- STUARTOWN, a village, in the parish of Pettie, Mainland district of the county of Inverness, 6 miles (W.) from Nairn; containing 204 inhabitants. This village forms part of the village of Campbelton, of which it may be regarded as a kind of suburb, and of which the larger portion is in the parish of Ardersier. It is situated near the eastern shore of the Moray Frith, and is built on the lands in this parish belonging to the Earl of Moray, from whom it derives its name. The inhabitants are principally engaged in the fishery, which is carried on with great success off this part of the coast, producing an abundant supply of whitings, haddocks, cod, skate, flounders, and soles, for the market of Inverness. During the season, which commences usually about the middle of July, and continues till the early part of September, many of the people embark in the herring-fisheries of Helmsdale, Wick, and Burgh-Head. There are two good inns in the village; and several of the inhabitants exercise various handicraft trades connected with the fisheries, and others requisite for the wants of the immediate neighbourhood.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pettie, or Petty — PETTIE, or PETTY, a parish, partly in the county of Nairn, but chiefly in the mainland district of the county of Inverness, 6½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Inverness; containing, with the villages of Connage and Stuartown, 1749 inhabitants, of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland